Sunday, October 18, 2009

First post from NOLA!

I am now living in New Orleans! The skies are blue and clear, and I'm watching locals walk around in their thickest coats in the sixty degree weather. (Note of Irony: Amanda is now one of the most warm-natured people around. What.)

Getting down here was a pretty nice and easy drive. I saw my first roadkill armadillo (!) just before I crossed into Alabama, and it was easy driving from there. I'm fully unpacked and settled into my wonderful new home:


Oh yeah. I see your envy.

I'm sharing a room with two other women. Elaine I met for about thirty seconds before she was out the door visiting Massechutsess. I've spent a lot of time with Nichol--a fellow music major and fantastic sax player.

So far, I have...

*Had my first "po-boy" (fried shrimp, pickles, mayo, lettuce and tomato stuffed into a hoagie roll,)
*Eaten life-changing grits,
*Been to a free outdoor Blues and BBQ festival,
*Ridden the streetcar
*Had two shifts at Hagar's House,
*Been to First Grace UMC for worship service.

I still have a lot to explore and do!!! I've still only seen a tiny piece of the city, and I'm excited about seeing more of it.

I don't really miss "home," even though I do miss my family and church! I miss my fellow US-2s and Mission Interns much more than I thought I would! I've been keeping in contact with the US-2s, though, which has been wonderful. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit into the community here yet. I get the impression I've come here at a strange time. The bottom floor of Hagar's House literally JUST opened, and this is the first time there's been seven women living in the house. It's a very exciting time to be here!

I have a few more reflections about NOLA in general, but I feel like this is a pretty solid update. Hopefully I'll be writing a bit more consistently soon!

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, it is so nice to see your update after arriving in NOLA. My prayers are with you as you begin your service there in Hagars House.

    Sandra Wadkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing, testing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, we're going to try again, another way.

    ReplyDelete