Saturday, October 10, 2009

More Important than Information

There's a lot I could talk about from our sessions. We've discussed a great deal about poverty, "Theological Diversity," conflict, etc, etc. I mean, as missionary-type people, this would make sense.

But I really don't think in a few months I'm going to remember the flow charts about communities. I'm going to remember doing the Cha Cha Slide with thirty missionaries in a crazy dance party and singing Aretha Franklin at the top of our lungs. (BTW, Missionary Dance Party: Awesome times. There are videos somewhere. I might share them, pending censorship.)

I'm not going to remember my session this morning. (Um...maybe I already forgot it.) I'm going to remember hiking around Bear Mountain with Jen, Erin, Heather, Amihan, Johnathan, Shannon, and David.

I'm going to remember Holli's earnest love of everyone.

I'm going to remember Jennifer's giggle/laugh.

I'm going to remember Helen's shrieking at every new game.

I'm going to remember to roll my "r's" when I say "Rrrrrrrosanna!"

I'm going to remember driving to the get real food (ie: greasy fast-food goodness) in the middle of the night with Bethany and Rachel.

I'll remember Joseph's ridiculous comments to everything.

I'll remember how much I missed Hannah and Rachel when they were gone for just one night.

I think what I've learned here isn't "training." It's the beautiful experience of being around such easy love, such effortless joy, such constant respect and growth.

It's an intense experience, being here and bonding so quickly and knowing we all have to break apart so soon. Really, like it isn't enough that I have to leave everyone I love at home? Now I have to tear myself away from ten or more people who feel like family.

It will be hard, but I'm grateful for this time to spend with everyone. I'm so glad that God has created so many people who are fun and beautiful and loving. And I'm grateful to be a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. I felt that way at TIP, too - it's like these places are filters to get to a small group of people who share some core thing with you. In your case, you left a world in which People Who Care About the World were maybe few and far between, and now you're in this place where Everyone Cares.

    You will be connected by heartstrings, even across miles.

    Loff you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Connected by heartstrings" indeed. We carry our family (blood and chosen) with us, in our hearts and in our selves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're sweet roomie. been thinking about you and am anxious to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete